Working from home is still work…
All the employer legal obligations remain in place. As well as honouring the specific terms of the contract there is a duty to keep employees safe, not to discriminate, and to deal with them fairly and reasonably.
Home workers need to be managed sensitively and fairly, but also effectively
- If agreeing to home working the employer must be satisfied that the physical environment is appropriate;
- The employer needs to ensure that the necessary resources are available, and that networks and connectivity are fit for purpose;
- For many employees, work helps to meet their social and emotional needs, as well as their financial ones – employers have a duty to look after the physical and emotional wellbeing of their employees;
- Employers need to manage and support home based workers in delivering their goals and targets; they must have effective and robust systems in pace to communicate with and supervise home based workers;
- Not every home worker will have the motivation, know-how and skill to be left to their own devices – for some, a light touch will work, but many will need systems, structures and clear instructions.
People Based Solutions has a portfolio of features to manage home based workforces that are accessible from your phone, tablet app or a pc:
- Do your employees have access to employee engagement questionnaires when working from home?
- Can your employees access employee wellbeing questionnaires when working from home?
- Can your employees access home working questionnaires, checklists and risk assessments?
- Do you have systems that support e-clocking and remote attendance manangement for home based employees?
- Can you operate remote appraisal and One-to-One schemes, using conferencing platforms e.g. MS Teams, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.?
If you would like to learn how People Based Solutions can help you manage and support your home based employees, click here to set up an e- meeting with Sean McCann, BA, MBA, Chartered FCIPD. Or click on the link below to arrange a call back from one of our HR experts.